It's about 11:15 A.M. exactly and I had just been at the MTC store getting a few things, such as laundry soap and some other things. It is Monday so P-day and we as missionaries that's what we do on these days is prepare for this coming week. My day started off amazing by waking up at 6:00 A.M. to prepare to go to the Provo Temple session at 7:40. So much has taken place in the last five days and so much to say. The only thing that is hard is to find the time to write in my journal, which I do, do. It's just I find myself writing about previous events rather than what took place that day. I am beginning to get caught up and things are running a lot more smoother. I can officially say I know my way around the MTC. Not much to say about my schedule, it's eat, class and sleep. My first day went well, just it seemed to be the longest out of all the days yet. Probably because we were all getting pounded with information. Remember the man I met at the Health office, well he is my companion. His name is Daniel Maughan. I call him Elder Maughan-pronounced Maunn, so the 'gh' is silent. My roommates are named Elder Bean-the one from Olive Garden and Elder Belyeu-like from the movie 'Jungle Book'. My other Elders from my district is Elder Kimball, Elder Smith, Elder Palmer and Elder Beck. Easy names to remember and not so many of us. We have a total of 8. The good things is we are all going to the mission in Barranquilla Colombia. I took some pictures and I look tiny compared to all of them-Ha Ha! I'll send some of those pictures later down the road.
Like everyone has been saying, the minute you get to the MTC, it's work, work, work and that's good because I am already starting to feel weird not doing anything. I have to be doing something! The minute I got in the MTC on the first day we had a large meeting then lunch and class, dinner, and class the rest of the night. That is how it is almost everyday except we add a new thing into work such as planning with companions or companion study and so forth. Now everything is solid and our schedule is same through out the remainder of my time here. As I begin to think back prior to my arrival I feel my heart was different. I feel within the last few days my purpose to be a missionary has changed. I have learned loads of new things. Two things or experiences I can remember is, I believe this was my second day and they called who was to be Senior companions and Junior companions. They called my companion Elder Maughan to be the district leader. Oh! if he looks a lot bigger and older it's because he is. He is 25 years old. That alone tells me I know he wants to be here. Anyways I believe I mentioned something to the extent of, "I'll follow your lead" He said, "Those roles don't mean anything to me, we're in this together." It's amazing the things I have learned from him and I know he has learned from me too. These things I couldn't have learned or would not learn unless I went on this mission. some things I see now I see will help me not only in my mission, but my life. Another thing is my purpose is to testify and bring people to Christ through the Atonement, baptism etc. This gives me peace and comfort with the language part because it's not why I am here. To be honest we don't study it all that much, but already within the few short days I can introduce myself, the church and pray and testify in Spanish. That's all I need to survive in Colombia and I learned it in five days. I can't imagine what I'll have learned over the next few months but I know I will need to keep studying the language continually because Colombians speak fast. My branch president is President Smith and he gave us some really great advice to our district. My zone and zone leaders have been really nice and helpful to be understanding and patient.
Since it is always busy, busy I try to write in my thoughts and such as well as give inputs to things. One more experience I had was we were in class and my companion and I had just got in while my district was doing somewhat of an assignment and they were reading out of the scriptures and sharing what they were talking about as well as their feelings. I felt they wanted to say they were struggling with the language and all we need to do is trust in the Lord or rely on him and all our short comings would become strong. For me I knew that wasn't all of it so randomly I asked to bare my testimony and I bore it on the Atonement and talked about relying on it so we can work with the Lord to become the Missionaries He needs. I asked them if they knew what I was trying to say and they agreed. I felt a lot better after words and more confident and comfortable to say things to help my district as they help me and my short comings.
The food is great, just don't know hoe healthy it all is :) During our 1 hour gym, I play basketball. So much has gone on hope I wrote things you wanted to hear, if not write me questions and I will try to respond. I still have so much to say and tell you but when we meet again everything will come together. I know that Yo se`testifico, yo se` Jesus Cristo viven. That was my last testimony to the family and no my first in espanol to my family. Yo Amo (I love) mi familia ( my family)
Talk to you soon.
love Elder Ridley
No comments:
Post a Comment