Ridley Family,
It is almost Christmas, so before I forget MERRY CHRISTMAS! Although it is pouring snow here in Utah, it's hard to remember it's Christmas. I have all those gifts from the 12 days of Christmas, opening them up each one day at a time as a countdown. So I am grateful for that! Packages and letters make you feel special, it really does. I have been receiving quite a bit of Christmas cards from the family. Grandma and Aunt Brenda and Billy gave me a huge box of goodies and my district and I loved it. It was gone in less than two days. Mom, I am sorry I forgot to ask you about the incident you had with the Colombian man at Costco. Tell me more.....I am sorry my emails are so small. I need to think more on what I will say before I get on the to give you a bit more than five sentences. It's hard though because I only get 30 min. to email and I do it in between loads of laundry. It can get kind of loud and very busy around here on P-day.
Glad to see Skyler had some words to say. I was wondering if he was going to keep his promise. So far today I have written at least close to ten letters. Is that normal? I have taken a few pictures and will be sending them in the next letter. It takes the bookstore a while to print them out.
A little bit more about the Elders in my district. Did I mention we are all going to Colombia, Barranquilla mission? Don't know how much we will see each other down there, so we are taking the opportunity now to get to know each other. Elder Bean is from Blackfoot, Idaho. Elder Belyeu is from Alabama. These Elders are roomies. Elder Palmer is from Rexburg, Idaho, Elder Beck is from Washington and Elder Smithe and Elder Kimball are from Utah. Now my companion, Elder Maughan is from Provo UT. He loves sports. Played at Provo High School and Snow College as linebacker. He was attending UVU and working ofr some company before he decided to go on a mission. He did at some point around his senior year become less active, but later came back. He wanted to go on a mission, but they told him he was too old. Six months later the Bishop called him in and asked him if he still wanted to go. He thought about it and felt like his time had past, but later realized a second chance doesn't always come around. Without telling his family, he put in his papers. When his family was all together on his mom's graduation from BYU-so Yes mom it is possible for you too he gave his mom a gift. She didn't know what it was. They all figured his time had past as well, but as she read it she began to cry. Then the family wanted to know what was going on but then realized what it was. They were all crying and happy for him. Hope that little story made sense. Elder Maughan tells it way better. Besides that he has 5 siblings and two brothers and 2 sisters just like me :) I am still getting to know him, but last thing is his mom makes really good pumpkin chip cookies!
My schedule is about the same everyday. Waking up at 6, showering, going to breakfast from 7-7:30, class after that for about 4 hours and either during that first session of class or second we have an investigator we teach in Spanglish-Ha Ha! Then after class we will have either some kind of individual or companion study. Then it is lunch time always at 11:30. After is DMT-directed missionary time and then gym time for about an hour. Usually play basketball. Elder Maughan and I are trying to set up a work out schedule just hasn't happened. After gymnacio is language study time then dinner at 4:30-5:30. Then class for another several hours. It feels like I am in the classroom always. We go on this program called TALL for an hour or so each day to practice Espanol. Then the planning session starts after that. We are back in our dorm rooms by 9-9;30 Within that last hour it's get ready for bed, journal time, prayer time and some things like napkin poetry. Certain nights of the week we do a little activity. It's not exactly like that everyday, but some things just at different times throughout the week. I have seen all the boys at some point during the MTC passing periods or at lunch. I see McCain the most, but I have seen Jake, Cooper and Elder Samhammer. He doesn't remember me personally , but remembers the Ridley name. How can you forget that! Since it's the holidays they are cleaning the Temple, so it is closed for the next two weeks. I did get the opportunidad to go my first week. It's amazing as always, just also nice to get out of the MTC for a little while. I will miss the temple for the next few weeks. I go to the temple on P-days which for me is Monday. Today I just wrote tons of letters.
One night as I was praying on my top bunk bed-yes I gave the bottom bunk to Elder Maughan because he is a lot bigger than me. As I was praying this joy came over me. It's hard to explain...it's just I realized for the first time how special this place is and that it is the Lords universidad-university Ha Ha, my English is going away because I feel like saying things in Spanish all the time. Something I learned this week is we as missionaries are the Lord's army. I can feel the sacred brotherhood of Elders. Especially at firesides when we all sing together. We hold the title of being apostles. Not Apostles, we are apostles with lower case 'A' being we live as they do just don't have all the keys. That was just something that helped me better understand my purpose. I know that at any moment when I am struggling if I close my eyes than open them (by praying) I would see horses of chariots as far as the eye could see, riding at reckless speed to come to my protection. These armies of Heaven in defense of Abraham's seed. It is truely amazing here and can't wait to step off the plane in Colombia. The chruch is true, I promise you.
Love you very much,
Elder Ridley
No comments:
Post a Comment