Family,
I haven't received a letter from anybody in a while and today there are no e-mails. Hope everything is going good? This week was a great week of learning. Right now the language is coming along and we have started all the grammar principles and so sentences are starting to come together,complete sentences. I can read out of the Book of Mormon and understand certain sentences which is exciting.
My district and I are coming along and I am trying to help our district improve on things, but I still don't think anything really dramatic needs to change. Just need to become perfect at what we do and that involves going beyond what is required :)
This past Tuesday we had a fireside with Jeffery R. Holland speaking to the missionaries. He talked about how most missionaries coming back home from the mission don't live what they taught and so that is why they came out with Preach My Gospel. Preach My gospel wasn't made for the missionaries to convert people, but to help or have missionaries become converted themselves first before they teach. I understand now why it is so important for the young men to study it before they go. I want you or dad to tell the youth this in the ward. Share why this is important. I am grateful for the opportunity I had before coming to do this and get an idea of it. Even the Step Up Program provided this, but I feel it needs a different reason of doing it. This involves not having the Priest just learn how to use Preach My Gospel, but to have a testimony of the teachings. They need a testimony and the spirit to teach. The spirit comes from pure knowledge of the gospel, to say...I know these things are true because I have read of the past, of the history, and received revelation and confirmation of the truth. It is important that they have prayed for a confirmation of the truth and know it for themselves. I love the things I am learning. More and more just seems to fill in the spaces and everything becomes more clear with the spirit and it makes sense. Another thing he talked about is how when we gain this testimony. We can't go back, that when we decided to go on a mission we can't go back. One thing I learned, is when Missionaries get back, they don't release them from the calling. They just say we thank you for your service and that's it. That's it because your not done with the calling. We are to be missionaries all the time. It's like the story of Peter and Jesus Christ after he was resurrected when he visited him by the shore of the Sea of Gallilee. Peter doesn't know what to do when Christ dies so he goes back to casting his nets/fishing. Peter sees Christ on the shore and swims to him. Jesus ask him three times do you love me.....Peter responds back, YES! and Jesus replies then feed my sheep. Feed my sheep! Once we come to understand the Atonement how much he loves us and how much we need to rely on him our love for Him grows. If Ye Love Me Keep My Commandments. I have Love for the Savior and so there is no going back. I have new desires and new ambitions. The time here is not wasted.
I Love you all.
Can't wait to hear from you soon.
Elder Ridley
P.S.- Elder Moore is in my district and I went to the temple with him this morning. Great Morning! His room is right next to mine. His dorm room and classroom. So I see him a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment