Elder Cody Nathaniel Ridley

Elder Cody Nathaniel Ridley
Barranquilla, Colombia

Friday, January 7, 2011

12-29 Letter

Lo Siento (I'm sorry) This letter is coming late, I had tons of things to get done this past p-day and so I didn't have time to get it all done. I have been receiving a lot of mail and wanted to make sure I wrote a little something back. I received those Christmas card and packages from some of the members of our ward. The Schauers card was sweet and the Pomar family sent me a wonderful package with a Christmas card, some goodies and my new favorite picture with a quote on it by Bruce R. McConkie. "I AM CALLED OF GOD. My authority is above that of the kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my Master and He has chosen me to represent Him. To stand in His place, to say and do what He Himself would say and do if He personally were ministering to the very people to whom He has sent me. My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts; my words are His words and my doctrine is His doctrine. My commission is to do what He wants done. To say what He wants said. To be a living modern witness in word and deed of the divinity of His great marvelous Latter-day work." Isn't that amazing? This is just another testament to all who serve a mission that it is His and not ours. Anyways I hope I was able to answer most of your questions in my e-mail.
Mom, I received your last letter and will try to read those scriptures, but to be honest it's hard. In the pilot language program everything is set up for us and so my own personal time is limited to an hour at the end of the day when I have tasks that need to get done and it usually takes about 3 hours, but I will try. The pilot program is amazing though! Our teacher said he substituted a few classes not in the pilot program with elders who were close to leaving and we spoke just as good as them yet we have only been here 1/3 of the time. The time is flying by.

I am glad you are feeling better. I did , and my companion, have been praying for each others families. It was good to hear hos Christmas went. Hope the family has an awesome New Year.
You wanted to know the people I have heard from, I have only received letters from family, but I received a ton of cards from extended family and people in the ward. Ya, I have a few of my friends I want to write, but I have to wait till next p-day. I was so busy this past one saying thank you and sending to those who sent to me. It's Thursday today and I'm writing to the family. I'm really sorry for the letter coming late. It is now Friday.

From Christmas until now a lot has happened that I will talk about in my next letter, but I am sure the family is wanting to know what my Christmas was like. Since I have been here outside in the main area of the MTC, they put up lights everywhere. My companion, Elder Maughan and I, usually walk through there when the day is done around 9:30. It is our winding down time and that's been nice to bring the holiday spirit. The days before Christmas were just like the normal days around here. It's weird all the days seem to be blending into one big long day. On Christmas day though ti was different. Our schedule was different. Our day started with a nice egg, hash-brown, sausage breakfast. Then we had a talent show that went for three hours. The MTC has amazing talent...singing, piano, guitars,jokes, ect. After that we had a Christmas dinner with Turkey, and mashed potatoes and I think some stuffing as well. After that past right about noon, the rest of the day is a treat. For our devotional we had Russel M. Nelson speak to us. I wrote notes down but the main thing I learned and liked was he talked to us about how we are the star of David to those searching for their Savior.. Also he talked about our divinity and about the ending and beginning of our names such as 'iel' in Nathan'iel' ahs some kind of significant meaning. Such as what we call Jesus Christ and God in the Temple. It got me thinking I want to study in out more when I get time cause it was really interesting. By the end of the meeting I felt his testimony and then we sang Away in a Manger/Hymn 206 and the words touched me so. Right then I knew it was Christmas after these words in verse three-"Be near me, Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stay, Close by me forever, and love me, I pray."
I have learned a lot and some of what I have learned is that I still need to learn a lot more! Later for dinner we got a snack box and went to a fireside. Most of the firesides I have been to have been plays. This one tonight was a Christmas Carol. Which after we heard a brief testimony again from Elder Nelson. Then the next morning , the day after Christmas, we had a special Priesthood meeting and presiding was Elder Nelson. Two things stuck out to me when he spoke again. One was he talked about our lineage and how the seed of Abraham and his promise given from God is why we're here to gather Israel. It just put things in a different sight to me and how he spoke of simply by pulling scripture after scripture, it made a whole lot more sense then before. Still all that stuff still confuses me, but I know have a desire to study it out for myself. Another thing is he talked about the difference between prayer and a blessing. A prayer you do yourself. A blessing is an act of God.
Blessings given will fulfill voices of the Lord and He uses us to help His Children when He can not. I wish I could tell you all the things I have learned, but one day I will. So that was my Christmas experience. I am glad to hear everything is going along well at home. I feel like I am getting behind on a few things. All is good -todos es bien`

I am doing what I need to be doing and being where I am is the place for me in my life. If I have forgotten anything let me know. I have already been forgetting English word and how they are spelled so keep needing to study my native language as well. I do wnat to hear from my buddies and have a few letters written out for them but need their address-Please send me Jon's, Erick's, Joseph's and AJ's por favor, y gracias! I will make sure this Monday my letter comes quicker and I get it done first.
Love the family. The church is true, I promise! Speak to everyone.
Elder Ridley

No comments:

Post a Comment