Mom,
Once again, I do not have time to write a lot. All day today Elder Jorge and I had spent the day with the assistance to the president because they are staying in our house for a few days and arrived this afternoon. I also promised Ryan I would write Ryan a few things for his boys that he has to teach in the step up program.
First off I want you to know how the work is going with Elder Jorge and myself and it is going well! I feel great in this moment because the work is going smoothly. We have three investigators with baptismal dates. One of the investigators that we are focusing on right now is.... Marily Monsalve and she has 26 years. She is an investigator that was a struggle for Elder Castillo and I. She has progressed so much within the last few weeks here with Elder Jorge and I. She attends the church and institute every week and she is reading and completing all the commitments. She now finally accepted a date for her baptism. The thing that has helped is planning to teach her what she has needed to learn. This past week we had a service project at her house to clean her backyard for her and that went well. Investigators need two things, help physically and spiritually. There are things that Elder Jorge has taught me within the last few weeks and has helped me see things that have changed my mission.
If you could send him a letter mom that would be great (he is Latino, but he understands English). We are doing so well together and that is because we have an understanding of the work and have humility. I just hope that there are things that I have helped him with too. I feel like I have. For example, about two Sundays back Elder Jorge and I, were late for sacrament meeting and missed the sacrament for the first time. Every Sunday we have to walk thirty minutes to the church. This was the first Sunday we had been late. After church, He wanted to take the sacrament and asked the bishop if we could and he said yes, but I told him I am not going to take it. I am coming to an understanding of how important it is to prepare physically and spiritually for the sacrament. This week I didn't prepare and take the consideration to be on time to prepare to take the sacrament and that next week it will be even more important for me to be there and participate in that divine power that it has for us if we take it correctly.
The thing that happens here which I have noticed, is when people are late they ask to take the sacrament after the real sacrament meeting and that, I feel, is abusing the priesthood and it's a misunderstanding of the value of this ordinance. As I explained this to my beloved companion, he eventually understood and I feel this has helped us to prepare better for Sundays even more. This Sunday we partook in that power and I felt so good afterwards.
I am so grateful for the things that come from understanding the gospel truly. The Lord has so many blessing to give, but many times people do not consider the entire steps necessary to complete the commandment of God to receive those gifts, those powers of heaven. When we need those gifts or Powers, we need to prepare to receive them because they will pass by if you don't fully seek and prepare to obtain them. I am working on accepting the things of Colombia and trying to work as best I can in the situation that I am in. I know one day that all will be restored to how it really should be and how God has it to be intended. I am working on having more confidence in the things I know and to express them when I feel prompted to, but I have to do it with the lord on my side and that is what makes the difference when I ask and pray for his help to guide me in those moments. There are many things, which I am working on, and I am amazed at all that I complete at times. I am grateful for the word such as a "mission," and what it is doing to my life and others. This morning we were in an internet cafe and someone was talking about me and I could hear them talking about how I was a "gringo" I paused for a moment and looked over and there were two women. They started to laugh and I told them that I understood. They started to ask us questions about the missionaries and we explained to them our purpose. The thing that stuck out to me is they said, "You're serving a real mission. They noticed us not as youth, but as something else and I could see that they were not just seeing men, but their heavenly father and we expressed our feeling of the work that we are about. I am grateful for it. I am grateful for you all and I love you all so much. Keep enjoying the time off and keep me up dated with the little things that pass by or the special moments that I might not even see if I were with you all in this time, but that you would share with me in other moments if I were actually with you all. Mom thanks for your e-mails always. Cuidense :) Adios
Elder Ridley
No comments:
Post a Comment