Family,
My first week is over and my time is short on the computer. My companion and I only get an hour on Mondays to use the computer between both of us, so a total of thirty minutes for me, same as the MTC. The letters I will write maybe once a month if that. Anyways I will print out all the Emails and keep them and respond later.
My flight to Colombia went smoothly. When the Elders and I arrived in Bogata after are flight we were expecting to have our president there to greet us, but nobody knew we were coming. Luckily the Mission President from Bogata was there to pick up other Missionaries who flew with us to the Bogata mission and helped us out. We arrived in around 10 or so at night and didn't end up going to bed until 2 or so in the morning. The mission President and his wife are from the states so that was nice and they helped us get into a hotel and get dropped off in the morning to our flight to Barranquilla. We stayed in a hotel called hotel Americano haha. Not Americas at all haha! Nothing like a nice warm greeting with nude pictures of girls in the room. I stayed that night with Elder Smith and Elder Kimball and we decided we should take them down. The next morning we got on our flight which took over an hour to get to Barranquilla. The AP´s, President and Sister Gaviria were there to give all the new missionaries a hug and get a picture of us to send home to let the families know we got there safe, but it takes a while haha. I think that's what they do instead of the e-mailing.
The first thing we got told is watch your stuff so it doesn't get stolen. Great huh!? All the elders and I got on a bus to head over to the stake center in Barranquilla. The weather from Bogata to Barranquilla is way different. I feel sticky and my clothes are wet constantly. Anyways we had our first whole day with training and the American Elders translated for us. Supposedly they are having problems with elders around the mission with getting some infection in the testicles from walking around so much with the air and all it's humidity, so they told us we need to get some whitey- tidies to wear from here on out.
The other thing is we had a testimony meeting and interviews so super long day! I was so tired all day falling in and out of sleep because I only got about two hours of sleep prior. Plus that night we didn't get to bed till really late again. So the first two days were rough. Anyways the rest of the week has been awesome.
I am currently serving in Cartagena. My trainer is from the sates, Arizona, Elder Barazoto. He had been working with investigators and so this week we had two baptisms. Last night we committed a young girl from Venezuela to be baptized and she accepted. Work is already in progress. The first few days I could not understand a word of what people were saying but in time it will get better. The food here it amazing I think and the drinks are delicious. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, with rice ha. My casa I live in is brand new and it's a members home. Super nice. I have so much more to say but I need to write the president a quick note before I get off. I love you all so much and miss you. speak soon.
Elder Ridley
No comments:
Post a Comment