Elder Cody Nathaniel Ridley

Elder Cody Nathaniel Ridley
Barranquilla, Colombia

Monday, March 19, 2012

March 19, 2012

Dear Mom,
How is Murrieta? Has it changed a lot? I know that when I get back the will be new people and now new wards haha. I don’t really remember how it was when I left, but the good thing is that there is change and change means that there is step of progress to get better or that things are already in that process. I think about how many people are here in my Ciudadela ward and what the stakes are like in Barranquilla and there are way more active members in Murrieta, but there is more stakes here. I wonder if the Murrieta stake will ever split. My ward here is basically a stake, but a third of the people are less active because there are a lot of member who don’t understand completely the importance of visiting teaching. You can always tell by the faith of the people and the testimony of the people by their works. Here it’s a struggle, but it’s a process. Sometimes I invite leaders to do something and I trust them to do such simple things and they can’t do it. It’s very strange to me because they are adults, but it’s frustrating at times. This week did you study about sustaining your leaders? We learned about that too. I think it’s one of the most difficult things in the church to do and it’s a struggle for me at times, but I think the best thing we can do at times is to gain a confirmation or testimony that the leaders are called of God or we will never be able to get past our pride at times. I try so hard to work and do things in order like I know it should be done, but at times there are things so important that I go directly to the head person to talk because if not it will never get done. This week my companion and I are going to be training the leaders in our ward to help them get the ward established and work more effectively. I hope it will make a difference and help them see the big picture and the potential they have as members of the church. The good things that will be coming up are two baptisms. Two of our investigators named Roy Coronel and Belsy Bustamante will be getting baptized this coming up Saturday. We met Roy about two months ago and I have been teaching Besly since I arrived in Barranquilla. I will be sure to make sure to take pictures because I have taken much in Barranquilla. I think Besly has been one of the easiest, but difficult circumstances to be able to help her get baptized. It will be a special day for her and me. Here Family is very different and has many problems, but I love them. For over 5 month I have been visiting her family and it’s been a great experiences. I will be checking up with Roy Coronel this week to make sure he stays up on his game to not break the Word of Wisdom. He is a great young man and will be a future missionary :)....in two years I hope. He already comes to church with his white shirt and tie haha. We call him every Sunday to go to church and he tells us that he is already there. He arrives thirty minutes before to help out. There are more investigators that will soon be ready for baptisms in the next few weeks too, but for now only these two. It’s been a lot of hard work for about a month without baptisms, but that’s not what gives me desires to work. I receive joy from the result of baptisms, but I am always working for my savior until the work is done. I am excited for this coming up week. Hope that all goes well with your busy plans. Talk again soon.

Elder Ridley

No comments:

Post a Comment