Cody received his mission call to the Barranquilla, Columbia mission. He reported to the Provo, Missionary Training Center on December 8, 2010. Cody will be a wonderful missionary. He has always been one with no fear to share the truths of the gospel to anyone. He has always had an abiding testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. For him it is black and white...Either it is or it isn't! For Cody it has always been what was the right thing to do and follow.
Elder Cody Nathaniel Ridley
Barranquilla, Colombia
Monday, July 16, 2012
July 16, 2012
¡Mamá! July, 16, 2012
Yes I have been changed to a new spot on the coast of Colombia. I am glad you were able to look it up where I am on the internet. I am about 2 hours north of Barranquilla. Here it’s like every other part of the coast I have seen. The houses look the same and the people are "costeños". They still like the parties in the center in the middle of the day and music playing constantly ha ha. The one thing different about the scenery here in Santa Marta is the city is surrounded by mountains so it’s really pretty! Since I left from Barranquilla and come here it’s been a slow process to get in the groove again of knowing the streets and the investigators and the members, but I am feeling more confident about it now. My first Sunday we had no investigators attend church so that was a bummer, but this past week we had three! So this Sunday we were pretty happy....I am always a little shy in the beginning to get to know people, but after while I usually break lose so I hope that I can be able to gain the confidence of the members here and be able to have success with them. I love my new companion and I am actually really grateful for all that he does and that he is willing to be here. I know I should tell him that....so I will. He is from Chile in the southern part. That’s almost by the south part of the world where it’s freezing hahaha. It’s a huge climate change for him. He has about 2 months in the mission so I am finishing up his training. I usually don’t talk about any leadership positions or training meeting because I have been a normal missionary without any responsibilities my whole mission. I have always wanted to, but I just never been given the opportunity. So I just continue doing what I know I need to do. This past week I had a great experience that proved to me really how the lord uses us as instruments to his work. It was about 8 at night on Saturday and in the morning we received a call form a less active and he told us the pass by at 8 because he wanted to talk with us. We had already had other plans, but we decided to go. I remember things being normal as usual teaching in the house and trying to find out how were are going to help this young man Andres, a new convert, but less active, understand the importance of our message and have that desire to change and give him direction through the spirit. I presented myself because it was the first time getting to know him and he began to talk about his situation. He began to talk about his conversion and the time with the elders and a friend that had moved away that really help him progress more in the Gospel, but then moved away. I remember telling him everything that we do as missionaries and how we’re here to help him and so forth. I felt I needed to talk about the Book of Mormon, so I did. I testified that I knew the power of the Book of Mormon is real and that it will help us at any moment to give us strength and the feel the spirit and that, that’s what he needed at this moment. I really had no idea his difficulties or what his concerns really were. My companion then invited him to read and continue praying, but I felt that I needed to share one of my experiences I had with Skyler in England. I am sure Skyler remembers it too . We were on the bridge, where they had the first baptisms in England, and Skyler told me we were going to give a Book of Mormon to the man on the motorcycle. After talking with that man we had another young man pass by that Skyler contacted and I remember the very words that Skyler said to the young man after he stated that he was homosexual. There is a power from this Book of Mormon that can help us to change our desires if we read this book and bore his testimony. Andres began to cry and I knew his problem as I shared my experience and that was his problem too,homosexuality and I knew that I needed to be there at that time and so we helped him to understand that God still loves him and that he can change that desire and have God help to heal him from anything that he feels at that moment. It’s a great experience for everyone that was there. We edified each other in that moment and that’s what the gospel is about. I have had so many challenges like president Utchdorf has mentioned, but I know it’s for the better and the mission is the best thing a young man can do at this time. I know that blessings will come from all this and I know that God knows what he is doing with his missionaries.
Mom Thanks for all the support really. I Love you tons.
Elder Ridley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment